Thinking about starting an online community to improve your business? A new survey shows that online communities are adding increased value to organizations, despite some obstacles.
Organizations said the greatest value of online communities is that they:
- Increase word-of-mouth (35%)
- Increase brand awareness (28%)
- Generate new ideas faster (24%)
- Increase customer loyalty (24%)
Among the greatest obstacles, organizations cited:
- Getting people involved in the community (51%)
- Finding enough time to manage the community (45%)
- Attracting people to the community (34%)
When starting an online community, survey respondents advised other organizations to focus on the value to the members, keep it simple and keep it fresh and simple, among other tips.
“The 2008 Tribalization of Business” study, surveying organizations using online communities, was conducted by Beeline Labs, Deliotte and the Society for New Communications Research.